Fifty Three to Fifty Six: Hintz (54) and Planned Parenthood

Friday, November 24, 2006

Hintz (54) and Planned Parenthood

How did you first become involved in politics?
My parents were both university professors and they raised me to respect public service. My mom worked for a State Senator when I was young and my father ran for School Board. While in High School, I was elected Lt. Governor of Badger Boys State. After college, I went to Washington DC and worked as a legislative aide for both Congressman Jay Johnson and US Senator Herb Kohl. I then earned my Master’s Degree from the LaFollette School of Government at UW-Madison and went on to be a budget analyst for the City of Long Beach California, which had a $1.6 billion budget. I have always been interested and active in government and politics. But after returning to Wisconsin, I realized that the state was heading in the wrong direction and nothing was going to change unless we elected leaders who were willing to stand up for the values of opportunity, fairness, equality, and privacy. I decided that I would make change by running myself.

Why do you believe that women's health is such an important issue for our state?
My mother raised me not just to respect women, but to be supportive of women and understand the value of privacy and the problem of government intrusion in public health. I believe all people, men and women, who want to be allies should utilize our own unique roles in our communities to speak up for what's right. Women's health legislation has been under attack by legislators in Madison for far too long for political purposes. Privacy and health care rights and ethics have been thrown out the window. I believe we have a responsibility to speak up for women's health and that we are impacted by regressive social policy made at the state level that negatively impact women's health. If elected, I will speak up for these important issues.

How do you feel about the recent attacks on access to birth control in the Wisconsin Legislature—bills like AB 343, the UW Birth Control Ban and AB 207, the Patient Abandonment Bill?
I oppose these attacks on public health and if elected, I plan to be a vocal opponent of legislation like this. While my opponent supports allowing medical professionals to abandon their patients, I strongly oppose this legislation. With UW-Oshkosh being the third largest campus in the UW System, I'm particularly troubled by the UW Birth Control Ban that would result in more unplanned pregnancies. I support policies that encourage family planning, rather than attacking responsibility. It is unconscionable that we would allow doctors and pharmacists to make any decision beyond what is in the best interest of the patient.

What accomplishment are you most proud of so far?
As a legislative Aide for both Congressman Jay Johnson and US Senator Herb Kohl, I had the opportunity to directly serve the people of Wisconsin. There's nothing better than giving back to your community. Also, while working in Washington, I saw the inner workings of government and learned about government first-hand. I believe these skills I learned will help me be a better legislator.

I am also proud of making Oshkosh a politically competitive area again after 24 years of one-party rule. When $70,000 of interest group money has been spent so far in the 2006 campaign to try and stop us from taking back this seat, we are doing something right. This was a safe seat where Rep. Underheim was re-elected with no less that 57% for 17 years. Now he has retired and I have the same groups that have been driving the regressive agenda in the State Assembly spending money to try and stop me from bringing real change to this area five weeks before the election. I look forward to the challenge and am confident voters are ready for a change.

What are some of the key differences between you and your opponent for AD 54?
My opponent has no respect for women's health and makes no attempt to even understand the issues related to preventative care, family planning, and reducing unwanted pregnancies. She was endorsed by Wisconsin Right to Life because she supports the attacks on women's health that the legislature is currently trying to make law. She supports the patient abandonment bill and other anti-women's health bills. On the other hand, I recognize that fighting for women is not a hobby; its tough work and I will not quit when the legislature attacks women's health.

Taken from www.ppawi.org

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home