Fifty Three to Fifty Six: 55th Assembly Race Profiles

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

55th Assembly Race Profiles

Election profile: 55th Assembly District
On Nov. 7, voters in the 55th Assembly District will choose between incumbent Republican Dean Kaufert and Democratic challenger Mark Westphal.

The 55th District includes the cities of Neenah and Menasha, along with portions of the Town of Menasha. The winner will serve a two-year term starting in January at an annual salary of $47,413.

For voting information in Winnebago County, call 920-236-4888 or go online at www.co.winnebago.wi.us.

The candidates recently responded to a questionnaire from The Post-Crescent.

Dean R. Kaufert

Address: 1360 Alpine Lane, Neenah

Age: 49

Occupation: Small business owner of All-Sport Trophy & Engraving; state representative

Family status: Married, two adult children

Education: 1975 Neenah High School graduate

Political experience: Neenah alderman, 1985-90; state representative since 1991

Why are you a candidate and what are the key issues? I'm a candidate for re-election because I believe in public service. Living in Neenah-Menasha all my life, I know the Fox Valley and the people that live and work here. I want to make a difference in Madison. I understand that representing the views and desires of the majority of the citizens of the district is my job. Holding the line on taxes, fighting wasteful spending, getting our fiscal house in order, creating and retaining good paying jobs, and making health care affordable are some of the issues.

What sets you apart from your opponent? People can trust that I will represent them in Madison, my strong commitment to the office and the amount of time and effort I put in for the citizens of the district. My leadership and experience means I can get things done for the district and state to make Wisconsin a great place to live, work, play and retire.

Mark Westphal

Address: 945 Hunt Ave., Neenah

Age: 47

Family status: Married, adult daughter

Occupation: Industrial electrician at Mondi Packaging/ Akrosil in Menasha

Political experience: Fox Valley Labor Council president for 10 years; member of Fox Valley Workforce Development Board and Winnebago County W-2 Steering Committee

Web site: http://markwestphal.org

Why are you a candidate and what are they key issues? I am very disillusioned and disappointed with our current Legislature. It has spent far too much time on partisan politics. Many of the more important issues — such as health care reform, economic development, job security and revitalizing our manufacturing sector — have been ignored. Making health care more affordable and more accessible to all of the state citizens. Promote a strong economic development policy that would not only retain existing jobs, but also recruit new employment opportunities that offer family-supporting wages and benefits.

I feel strongly about the need to invest in Wisconsin's public education system, to provide our children with the skills needed to compete in the global economy. I would also like to create a more equitable tax system by closing many of our current tax loopholes and create a system based more on the ability to pay.

What sets you apart from your opponent? I have been a labor and community activist all my life and understand the "bread and butter" issues that affect most people today. I would bring these everyday experiences to the Legislature and provide a perspective that I believe to be missing by many of our current legislators.

From the Appleton Post -- www.postcrescent.com -- 10/29/06

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home